I’ve been of the Asian persuasion recently. First I threw together the Low Carb Spicy Malaysian Lemon Chicken Soup and then the other day I had a real hankering for a healthy curry packed full of veggies and some flavoursome chicken thighs.
All the recipes I could find were really carb heavy though, suggesting you pack in potatoes AND serve it up with loads of rice. My approach was a bit different. I ditched the rice and the potatoes and filled the curry out with sweet potatoes and even more vegetables. Of course I had to add some chilli too.
The result is a spicy sweet curry, with super soft sweet potato and rich chicken that compliments the sauce perfectly. It’s so easy to make too, this one should definitely be on your list.
45 Mins Prep & Cooking Time
6 boneless chicken thighs, diced
2 tablespoons of sesame oil
2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 hot chili pepper (all about preference on this one, the curry powder has a kick too so you may just want to use that)
2 medium carrots, finely sliced
1 mug of peas (easiest measuring unit you’ll ever use!)
2 medium size sweet potatoes, sliced
2 mugs of chicken stock (just mix one chicken oxo cube in one mug of boiling water and then chuck another mug in)
2 tablespoons of soy sauce
2 tablespoons of Shaoxing Rice Wine
1 tablespoon of curry powder
2 tablespoons of garam masala
2 tablespoons of plain flour
- Heat oil in pan and brown chicken thighs, remove and set aside
- Add the onions, garlic and chili and cook until softened
- Add the flour, curry powder and garam masala and heat through for one minute. Then add stock gradually, ensuring flour mixes well. Then mix in the soy sauce and Shaoxing Rice Wine.
- Return the chicken to the pan, add the carrots and sweet potato.
- Bring to the boil and then down to a simmer. Cover with a lid and cook nice and low for 25 minutes as the sauce thickens. It’s almost ready when the sauce has a good consistency and the carrots and sweet potato are soft.
- At this point add the peas and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Get stuck in!