There’s a concerted effort in our house to eat less meat, it’s a storm that has been brewing for a while but was finally brought to a head by the latest David Attenborough documentary on Netflix, A Life On Our Planet. Basically, unless we all start eating less meat and more veg, we’re royally fucked as a species!
Anyway, enough about the why of this particular recipe and more about the what. This is a beautifully smooth, kind of sweet, flavour and nutrition packed Caribbean stew.
Jerk seasoning, paprika, coconut milk, lime and thyme are the big flavour punchers and come together oh so well. Add into that some delicious veg and protein packed beans and you’ve got a vegetarian recipe that will have you saying ‘what meat?!’
It’s worth addressing the fact this recipe isn’t called low carb, and that’s because it’s not. Where normally a portion of meat would be providing a low carb high protein contribution this has been replaced by red kidney beans. These guys are high in protein but also pack some carbs.
However, most important to note is the dietary fibre percentage of this meal (58%) which means you can eat this knowing that your blood sugar increase will be slow, steady and easy to mange with the correct bolus dose.
I’ll have to write a page on dietary fibre percentages one day he says, as he adds it to his already massive list of content…
You will also want to think about what you are serving this with. I chose white rice when I made this for myself and my girlfriend but it’s up to you what you would prefer. It goes really nice with a few flat breads, lower carb grains or even just on its own!
35 Mins Prep And Cooking Time
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp of Jerk Seasoning
1 tsp of Smoked Paprika
1 vegetable stock cube
200g bag of baby spinach
1 medium bell pepper
1 red onion
1 red chilli
1 bunch of fresh thyme
1 bunch of coriander leaves
1 can of coconut milk
1 can of red kidney beans
- Thinly slice the onion and cut the pepper into tasty chunks. Finely chop the chilli and zest and halve the lime. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press) pick the thyme leaves from their stalks and chop the coriander.
- Heat a glug of oil in a saucepan or wok over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion and pepper and cook, stirring until they’re softened and starting to brown, should be about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, thyme, jerk spice mix and smoked paprika. Cook for about 2 mins, stirring frequently, as all the lovely smells come to life.
- Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock. Stir to dissolve the stock powder and season with salt and pepper. Drain the kidney beans and add to the pot, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until thickened slightly. This should take about 10 minutes. If the stew dries out too much add a splash of water.
- Add in the spinach a handful at a time, stirring to make sure it doesn’t clump together and cook until wilted. Stir through half the coriander, the lime zest and a squeeze of lime juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cut any remaining lime into wedges.
- Divide the stew between the bowls. Scatter over the remaining coriander and the red chilli (add as much as you like). Serve with any remaining lime wedges for squeezing over and get stuck in!